Monday, December 28, 2009

from Wanda, Addressing Assault on Campus


from Wanda, Addressing Assault on Campus


Hi Connect4ians! It's your former co-pres:

I'm sure you all have heard about the
- Hide quoted text -
took place this past weekend. I recently sent an email to a few
students who may be interested in action planning to respond to what
happened (see below). I'm emailing you all because Connect 4 is about
action. If any of you all would be interested in getting involved in an
initiative to respond to this past weekend's assault, please email me @
wandalyn.savala@gmail.com. Also, if you know of anyone who would be
interested, please have them contact me.

 After the assault this past weekend, I forward the story to "Shark Fu,"
> the blogger that runs angryblackbitch.com. Shark Fu is a Saint Louisian
> deeply concerned about issues of women's rights, sexuality, gender equality,
> etc. After I sent the story, she asked if I could reach out to campus
> organizations and students who would be willingly to communicate with her on
> this issue and/or start a plan of action.
>
>  I want to be involved in the movement to ensure that an assault like this
> never happens again, but since I will be abroad next semester, I can only
> play so much of a role in any response to this incident. The other night, I
> asked De if she knew of anyone who may be interested in taking action in
> response to this event, and she mentioned that you all were concerned about
> women's issues on campus. I am emailing to see if you all had any ideas in
> mind that could be developed as a response to the assault and/or a broader
> effort to raise awareness and better ensure the safety of our community.
>
>  Of course, as seniors, none of you really have the time to develop and
> implement a plan of action. And as a study abroad student, I would not be
> able to take as active a role in action planning as I'd like. However, we
> can get ideas together and forward them to groups like C.O.R.E, M.O.R.E,

0 comments:

Post a Comment